Thursday, September 8, 2011

Labor and Rest

This Labor Day weekend was a weekend of labor. Our Sunday night small group gave the church nursery a little TLC with a new coat of paint, new flat screen tv (with audio straight from the sound system), and cute little murals on the walls. Our family, kids included, spent 6 hours at church on Sunday afternoon/evening and 9 hours at church on Monday.  June helped Karl paint for about 10 minutes but otherwise occupied herself with other kids and a whole nursery's worth of toys that were out in the narthex.  Ruben was not as easily occupied but he did manage to eat some paint from a paintbrush someone left conveniently on the ground and climb the first flight of stairs up to the balcony without anyone noticing. Probably both life threatening situations but Ruben handled them like a champ - by complaining when we made him stop.

Needless to say, we were all spent after our days of labor, so on Monday night Karl and I were treated to our first night of uninterrupted sleep in at least 3 months.  It is amazing how much more energy a parent has after sleeping all night long.  Tuesday morning introduced Toddler Tales.  I had moved the class down to the basement when we lost our classroom due to a growing school, but after one class down there, I'm rethinking our location.  The basement isn't exactly crawler-friendly and we have a lot of crawlers.  It is a conundrum.  The other excitement for Tuesday was the mystery of who moved all the furniture back in the nursery.  I had rearranged the furniture so that the rocking chair wasn't in the middle of the room and there would just be more floor space overall.  By Tuesday morning, everything was back in its original spots exactly - even the couch was moved back about 18 inches to the left.  Yikes!  So I rearranged it again and by lunchtime, Karl said it was back in its original location.  Either the room is revolting against this new arrangement or someone doesn't like the change.  Finally, we found out that a special needs student who helps out at our school was changing it back because she thought someone was messing it up from "normal." After a bit of explaining we got it worked out :)

By Tuesday night I was spent.  I was emotionally worn from the mystery of the moving furniture.  Intellectually burned from trying to find a location for Toddler Tales, and just flat out tired.  With a headache on the verge of blowing up I laid down in bed before 8 just to try to get my wits about me.  At midnight I woke up to feed Ruben, and at four I got up to pull him into bed with us.  We slept until 6.  That is 10 full hours in bed.  When has that ever happened?

Since Karl was obviously in charge of bedtime that night I only heard this story second hand, but I love it like I was there.  June and Karl were getting ready to pray, and June usually requests that I join them to say the blessing - like we've done as a family since she was about a year old.  Karl explained that I wasn't feeling well, and started in on the blessing himself, but June interrupted and said, "No, Daddy. We pray for Mommy." Karl agreed and started the prayer leaving room for June to say Jesus, "Dear..." June chimed in, "Jesus, please help mommy get better." Thank you, June.  I needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment