Friday, September 16, 2011

Come on, Wake Up!

Usually I love nap time because the kids sleep and I can get things done around the house, read a book, watch a show while folding laundry, or catch a little nap myself. Today I could do any of those things, but I mostly want the kids to wake up so we can play. I'm not generally a "good at playing mom," the one who is dressing up and creative playing with the kids or initiating new and exciting challenges during outdoor play. I remember being about 12 and losing the ability to pretend with the Meyer kids and my brothers.  All of a sudden, playing wasn't interesting anymore for me. Until recently, I really questioned my ability to enter a playful state at all.  Hallie always plays pretend with her grandma and Miss Michelle, but I rarely get invited (or wrangled) into playing those games with her.  I think it is partly because she has June to play with here, but I also think I might just not be good at it, so she saves that play for other days of the week. Recently, I've been able to let go of housework and busy work surrounding raising kids and actually engage in play with June and Ruben.  We had a beautiful tea party yesterday, and right now I'm sitting at the computer wasting time until June gets up to play some more.  We have a whole stack of books from the library, and I'm ready to spend time with my kids.  But they are sleeping.
Why is it that on days I want to get stuff done, they don't sleep?  I end up doing chores or trying to nap with these kind of faces looking at me.

But YEAH, I hear shuffling from upstairs!  Time to play!!!

1 comment:

  1. Laughed out loud... you are such a good writer Kendra. Have you thought about writing children's books?

    ReplyDelete