When Ruben first started climbing up the stairs, we thought that he was climbing to explore the upstairs or get to a person who was upstairs. As the weeks have passed, we're starting to suspect that he climbs the stairs to get to his room, to let us know that he has pooped in his pants and wants a clean diaper. I know this sounds like an awfully advanced communication skill for a nearly 9 month old, but it is what it is. In fact, as I'm typing this, Karl has followed Ruben upstairs and is currently changing a very wet and poopy diaper.
While we're talking about things that smelly poopy, this afternoon, Karl and I tackled the backyard project of organizing and upgrading our compost system. Since we've moved to Davenport we've been composting in 20 gallon Tuperware tubs with holes drilled in the sides and bottom. It has been an effective form of composting our kitchen waste but not nearly big enough to last through the whole year. From January until the thaw, we're forced to throw all our compost material away in the trash which just seems like an enormous waste of good organic material. I tackled the weeds and crabgrass that had taken over the flowerbed by the garage and Karl dug out space for the new composter to sit. One hour of work for each of us and now our backyard isn't littered with half full tuperware containers of smelly compost, and the sleek black composter I got from the city sits ready to make our compost nice and rich. Yeah for living green (and brown and black - it is compost afterall)!
No comments:
Post a Comment