Since I spent 99% of the first post talking about adventures with June, I suppose I should mention a few things about Ruben. When he was born, we received many cards with the inscription "bouncing baby boy." I thought this was a cute alliteration. I didn't realize that it was a literal description of baby boys. Ruben moves. Constantly. Quickly. Up and down. All the time.
On vacation at the Lake, Ruben learned to crawl. He has this adorable habit of crawling on his hands and feet when he's on a hard or rough surface. So cute. Once we got home to our carpeted floors, I realized the extent to which I was going to need to baby proof this house. Ruben can move fast when he's on his hands and knees on carpet. A week after getting home, we were hanging out at home, and all of a sudden I realize that he's crawling up the stairs. What!?!
And the strength that he exhibits is astounding. He can downward dog with the best of them, pull himself up on any piece of furniture or toy, and even dive over a toy or my legs and catch himself with just his hands. Those little biceps even have a little definition!
All along, Ruben has been interested in altitude. He sat up at 5 and a half months because the view was better 12 inches higher off the floor. I'm pretty sure he learned to crawl just so he could get to different, taller pieces of furniture. Let's not even talk about the stairs, they freak me out. This is new for me. June is a child who moves at a very different pace.
I can hear myself already in the coming months and years. "Ruben, get off of that. June, hurry up - we need to catch Ruben. Ruben, that doesn't go in your mouth. June, step lively, Ruben is already to the top. Slow down, Ruben, your sister stopped back there to pick flowers. Come on, June, we need to find your brother - he's hiding here somewhere." God sure has a sense of humor to create two such different human beings from the same two scraps of DNA.
Great visual!
ReplyDelete