Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Vocabulary


Our kids talk a lot. June is really into telling stories about her day and explaining the secret lives of blocks turned people. Ruben repeats everything you say and does so quite accurately. His desire to communicate is really starting to show forth. We've started watching the Youtube video of the Fire Truck Song by Ivan Ulz. The kids know they can push the space bar when the song is over and it will play again. Therefore, Ruben spends a good portion of his day either singing the fire truck song or asking for us to play the fire truck song (more of the latter unfortunately). As annoying as it can be, he is super cute when he starts singing "fire duck, fire duck, ride fire duck." Here's the link just in case you haven't had the pure joy of listening to this song. Fire Truck Song

As an English major and former student of Ms. Schaefer's seventh grade English class, I have pretty high standards for grammar and vocabulary. When people hang participles or have misplaced modifiers, I get ticked (please don't go through this blog right now and grammar-check....remember, I write this instead of napping or going to bed). So, needless to say, when my daughter starts each sentence with the objective case of the pronoun, I feel compelled to correct her. "Them is going..." no "they are going..." "her is mine friend" no "she is my friend" After correcting or wanting to correct every sentence she says, I realize that the English language is incredibly difficult and why should the letter "C" have two different sounds? Just use a K - it already makes that sound. Sorry, June, it will make sense someday but for now please don't start rolling your eyes at me every time I correct your pronoun usage.


No comments:

Post a Comment