My parents always talk about how I was such a shy girl growing up. It would take me a better part of a week to become accustomed to talking to my own grandma and then it would be time to leave. I don't think June got this trait of mine. Karl and I have decided that June's really the extrovert and Ruben is the introvert in this family so far. While Ruben is insanely adventurous, when it comes to groups of people, he'd prefer to be held by mom or dad (or Matt). June is not exactly ready to climb to the top of the jungle gym without a little prodding, her greatest fear in life seems to be being left alone. I'll leave the kids playing in the living room while I run outside to throw out the trash or compost and I'll come back with June crying that she didn't want "to be alone." We've had beautiful weather lately and June has figured out how to open the door herself to let herself out, but can't open it to get back in. Yesterday, she let herself out while I was in the shower and when I got out of the shower she was screaming at the basement door because she was "all by mineself." At church, she's never without a friend. During Sunday School she mothers a little girl who misses her mommy. Lenten services have been devoted to a third grade girlfriend who takes her to the nursery after she's eaten her dinner. Hallie, Hannah, and Jan are always great pew partners. In fact, if I wanted I could pawn June off to some friend as soon as I entered the door and I'd wouldn't have to see her the whole time I was there.
June's conversation level has hit a new pitch. She wakes up talking and doesn't seem to quit. While the content is mainly about what Hallie did last time we saw her or when we're going to see Hallie next, she's really starting to experiment with language in whole new ways. When Hallie is over, the ratio of time June gets to talk vs. time Hallie talks is about 20:80 (which has improved tremendously over the last two years). However, now when Hallie leaves, June takes over both sides of the conversation. Pretend play is awesome!

Here we're enjoying some chocolate fondue for snack. What a fun and messy treat. All I did was melt a handful of chocolate chips in a little bowl and throw a banana and some pretzels on the table.
This week marked a new milestone in her road to independence. She spent the night at Hallie's house. She's only three and I would generally say that is too young for a sleepover but sleeping at Hallie's house is like sleeping at an older sister's house. We planned it out for Thursday night of spring break. We packed a suitcase, got her carseat out of the van, and waited for her to get picked up. I have never seen her this excited. Part of me wished that she would be a little hesitant...a girl should want her mom for bedtime, right? Ruben, Karl and I enjoyed the evening together, shopping at resale shops for shoes for Ruben (he wears a size 5 fat, not a 5 wide). We eventually got a text from Jill saying that June really wanted her mommy (finally) but that Jill was ready to give it a little more time. Three minutes later she texted back to tell us that June was asleep. Well, at least she gave up a little bit of a fight for her mom.

All packed up in the car ready for the sleepover. She was especially excited to use her new suitcase from Nana.
June also is getting to be quite the fan of the camera and loves to pose. Aunt Katie...you are her godmother.
You're right; I am her godmother.
ReplyDeleteThe funny thing is, my mom always thought I was more like my godmother than her. I think science needs to examine that correlation sooner or later.