Thursday, January 26, 2012

When shall I blog?

I feel bad about not keeping up with this blog recently but I have good excuses on hand, I promise. First of all, I used to blog when after I put Ruben to sleep while Karl was getting June down to sleep. Well, bedtime routine has changed slightly and now I end up being a part of both kids' routines. I read June stories while Karl plays or reads with Ruben and then we switch so I can nurse Ruben to sleep while Karl gets June to sleep. Or if I finish Ruben off faster than June she is pretty adamant that I be the one to read outside her room.  Plus I've enjoyed reading the Steve Jobs biography and now I'm on to The Omnivore's dilemma.

My other blogging time was during nap. That doesn't exist anymore. June's officially given up the nap (even when Hallie is over and takes a nap it doesn't entice June into sleeping). Ruben has started napping closer to 11 which means that I spend most of his naptime doing lunch stuff with June and Karl. So, you might ask, "What is life like without a nap?" Quite frankly, I'm still in shock.  Since I started watching Hallie in September of 2009 I've had a consistent noon-to-two nap schedule in our house. When the kids were babies that was more flexible but I've always reserved that time as Kendra time - time to get two handed chores done like cleaning sinks, bathrooms, floors, folding laundry, watching shows on Hulu, relaxing or resting if the night was particularly bad and getting dinner prepped. It sounds like I worked a lot, but that was my down time. Kid free. Quiet. Do you know what I did from noon to two today? Ruben woke up at 12:45 and we changed diapers, loaded the diaper bag, got a snack, got in the car and went to the mall. My down time was spent at the mall. I'm sure that hasn't happened since middle school.

Oh, and now when do I blog.  While dinner is simmering on the stove, June is sleeping on the couch downstairs (because she fell asleep on the way home from the mall, and Ruben has spent the time playing in Nova's water bowl and wreaking havoc in the bathroom upstairs. Yeah Down Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment