Thursday, January 26, 2012

Giving my kids away...

I haven't blogged lately because I wasn't sure I was going to keep these kids.  You know how when you buy a new shirt and immediately tear the tags off and then look at it again and say, "yikes, this shirt is not for me" so you hang it in the closet and put the tags on the dresser and wait until you either run out of clothes and need to wear it or accidentally throw the tags out while in frantic clean up mode and then you're stuck with the shirt and decide, "hey this shirt suits me just fine"? I guess these kids will work after all (although as I type this, Ruben found a piece of dog food on the ground and started to eat it)

The reasons I wanted to give them back have been plentiful lately although if Ruben could remain toothless the rest of his life and if June had a transposition knob so I could turn her down an octave, the list would be quite short. Ruben finally pushed a singular tooth through his gums two days ago. There better be like six more on their way shortly or else that crabbiness was totally unwarranted.  I forgive some whining when a child is teething because seriously that can't feel good.  However, the two straight weeks of incessant  crying was starting to get to me and had turned Ruben into a child I didn't know.  June has been, I hate to say it, acting like a baby lately.  She seems to no longer be able to pull her pants down by herself, put her shoes on by herself, feed herself, play independently for more than 2 minutes, or even sleep through the night (which wasn't cool at all since Ruben also couldn't sleep). I think we're finally over the hump with both kids though. Ruben is his regular self - even the sitters at Mom's group mentioned that he was a totally different kid on Wednesday.  He didn't even care that I left and wasn't ready to go when I came back. June and I have had some battles of the will that involve a few tears (mostly hers) but she once again will put on her own clothes and play with Ruben without needing me to  participate. Eating is tonight's challenge.  Hopefully this Moroccan Chicken Soup simmering on the stove will entice her to eat independently as well.

2 comments:

  1. "I wasn't sure I was going to keep these kids" - oh my gosh, Kendra, that was funny to read! You are doing a fantastic job and I am in awe of your patience, humor, and honesty! You have my sympathy. Keep blogging! Miss you.

    (This is Julie Davidson, by the way. I can't figure out how to comment and leave just my name ... )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam's first official food on his chart at the doctors office is dog food. The nurse thought it was hysterical to chart it....

    ReplyDelete