When we got pregnant for the first time, it was all so new and exciting. We called Nana and Papa (just regular old Mom and Dad at the time) immediately, couldn't hold the secret in for more than four days, and were confused at how some couples could keep the secret until after the first trimester. Yikes, we couldn't even make it past the 5th week (which if you read all the books, you know is more like the 3rd week). Pregnancy was full of new developments (fatigue, energy, fatigue, no pork sausage) and lots of learning. I planned to be thoroughly prepared for this child in every way shape and form.The planning, the registering at stores, the showers, the long walks toward week 40, the extra-long walks through two foot snow by week 41, and "TA-DA!" it's June Elaine Fay!
Pregnancy number two was a bit of a miscommunication all around. I took the pregnancy test too early and thought I wasn't pregnant, then by ultrasound three months later learned that I should wait a few extra days before taking a test since I was in fact pregnant. We still ended up telling everyone as soon as we knew but that turned out to be week 9 or so. The fatigue I felt during the first trimester seemed much more severe with Ruben, but probably just because instead of having the freedom to nap every afternoon, I was chasing a 18 month old. Later ultrasounds made the doctors nervous so I had to have more ultrasounds just to find out that they were basing the measurements on a child two weeks younger than mine. Of course his head is huge, he's a Fay and he's older than your calculations! No need for books or showers or registries. We have all the stuff, all the knowledge I gained from books ended up feeling irrelevant in the midst of actual parenting, and quite frankly, we were already receiving enough gifts from congregation members to fill the new nursery. Five days before my due date, my friend Jess and I walk super duper fast around the mall and the next evening "TA-DA!" it's Ruben Erik Fay!
So far for Baby Fay # 3 (catch the gossip, folks), it's standard fare. We told grandparents right away, although Nana and Papa wouldn't answer their phone and we were afraid we'd get impatient and leave a note like this on our Facebook statuses:
If Tim and Lori Schmidt would've answered the 14 missed calls or 5 voice messages, they wouldn't be finding out about their third grandchild on Facebook. Sorry, folks, that's what you get for ignoring those annoying children of yours :)
The fatigue of the first trimester seems twice as bad as it was with Ruben (probably because I'm chasing a nearly two year old and three and a half year old). I'm pretty sure pork in general is on the list of things I won't be eating for a while which is really sad because BLT's sound tasty, but the thought of bacon frying turns my stomach. We've had great plans for how we'll announce this baby, but in general, we end up just telling people. As for the rest of pregnancy, I can only pray it is as smooth and easy as the first two have been. We'll also pray for another successful VBAC. And we'll pray this poor PK isn't born on Easter Sunday, because given the trajectory of past pregnancies, that looks to be when we'll be expecting this new little joy!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think that's satisfactory enough to display my excitement.
Also, Starla told me.
ReplyDelete