Ruben's Update
This kid is talking. Granted, most of what he says is repeated from something I've just said but he's starting to get it. I feel like June didn't really talk until she could do it on her own. She wasn't a huge fan of parroting my words. Ruben is trying to keep up with the conversation. He says colors (Gee, Pur Pur, YahYah, Boo, Reh, Peenk). If you ask him what color something is he will tell you except his first guess is always green, then purple, then yellow, then blue. You get the picture. Still it really impressed this lady at a wedding when I was standing there with Ruben asking him what color the balls hanging from the ceiling were and since they happened to be the four colors he guesses, he got an A+.
Ruben is also exercising his right to choose. Mostly he chooses, "no" but if it is enticing (or if I use my super excited voice) he'll say "yeah, yeah." Always two yeah's. I'm not sure why, but it makes me want to sing that Kelly Clarkson song.
Final note on Ruben is that we finally trimmed his hair. I didn't really want to, but it was getting long enough that I was needing to brush it once a day to keep it from becoming a rats nest. It's hard enough to brush a three year old's hair, so I didn't think I'd have the patience to brush both heads in the mornings. While I cut off a good two inches around the back I left a lot of the length up front so most people didn't notice right away that we had cut it.
BEFORE

AFTER
Now a note on June. The girl is crazy into playing lately. This is really good and also really frustrating at times. The frustrating times for me are when we're getting into the van to go somewhere. I'm encouraging independence with the car seat so June has to get into her seat and get her arms into the straps and buckle the chest buckle all on her own. The problem arises when she gets distracted by a toy or a thought or a step in the process. If I let her, she could take an hour getting into the van, locating the toys that need to be within reach, closing the van door by herself, checking out the backseat to see if anything changed back there, seeing Hallie's carseat and asking when Hallie was going to come over again, getting back to her carseat, showing me yet another cool way she has developed to climb into her carseat, getting a toy for Ruben (usually from the back seat - repeat those backseat steps), finally getting into her seat, juggling her toys enough to get her arms in the straps, remembering she wanted to take off her sweater, taking her arms out of the straps, putting her arms back in the wrong straps, detangling and finally getting her arms in and buckled. If I haven't intervened at some point in this process, I'm usually standing outside the van praying for patience or sitting in my seat trying to keep her on task.
The playing is amazingly good when it comes to the rest of the day. We've had a lot of friends over to play recently and every time a friend is over, an entirely new game comes into play. My favorite was the day Hallie, Madelyn, and June decided to play in the van for an hour and a half. They filled the trunk with ball pit balls. They played lifeguard and swimmers. They strapped each other into car seats and drove all over town. They especially enjoyed it when I closed the back door of the van so they were completely enclosed. Such fun!


No comments:
Post a Comment