Thursday, August 29, 2013

Equal amounts of sincerity and sarcasm

My life right now is amazing. I say this right now with equal amounts of sincerity and sarcasm. My life is amazing. We have three amazing kids and we spent the weekend at the Lake with the other Fays and came back refreshed and rejuvenated. Iris is still amazingly perfect. She's fussy at times but mostly for good reason - like mom is totally ignoring me because I've been too perfect! June has started school and loves it and I'm really loving it too. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel, but I knew for sure that June was ready to have a teacher that wasn't me. The way she idolizes teachers is almost funny. We've worked on identifying numbers for a while now, but today she came home from school and pointed out 1-5 on a poster like no one had ever explained that to her before. Goodness sakes kid. And Ruben is getting so big as well. His vocabulary is immense and he'll say things that are so darn cute it is hard not to just squeeze him tight and laugh. The other morning he burst into my room while I was still asleep to tell me he saw a "huge snapping turtle and a cormorant" on his walk with Dad and Nova. Karl's work schedule allows him to come home most days for lunch and he always gets his day off (or if he doesn't, he flexes time). He's fulfilled and I'm fulfilled as well.

My life is amazing. I talk about poop and pee WAY TOO MUCH. All day long I'm constantly asking Ruben if "he's listening to his body" and "if it is telling him to go pee." We are on day three of potty training and I'm feeling optimistic (even though it took two type one accidents and one type two accidents this morning to remember how to go on the potty). I went to June's preschool orientation the other night with all three kids while Karl had premarital counseling. I was so concerned about getting us all there on time that I didn't realize until I sat down next to my cousin Rachael that I was wearing spit-up stained capris, a incredibly wrinkly t-shirt (better than the peed upon shirt I took off before I left), uncombed hair, and a sports bra since I had no other clean bras. So here I am meeting the other parents and teachers at June's school and I look astoundingly horrible. Not to mention that I had a fussy baby who wanted to nurse and I wasn't prepared to leak through my unlined sports bra in order to feed her. June's teacher Ms. Raupp asked if anyone had volunteered to be head room parent and I raise my hand from the corner letting each parent in the room look at me and think "yikes...maybe I should volunteer to be room parent because that lady doesn't look capable of maintaining her personal toilette much less plan a decent party for our kid's preschool class." There are now three additional head room parents.

And yet....somehow...my life is amazing.

1 comment: