Thursday, October 11, 2012

Almost two

When people ask how old our kids are, I tell them June is three and a half and Ruben is almost two. However, I've been saying Ruben is almost two since he was 20 months old so now I feel like he might never actually turn two. We only have 16 more days of a one year old. And yet, for some time now, I have regarded Ruben as a two year old. I mean, he talks like a kid who is two and a half, he runs like a two year old, and for goodness sake, he gave up his nap three to four days a week without any negative side effects (as of yet). If my one year old no longer seems like a one year old, what will my two year old be?

All in all, Ruben is a delightful kid. He speaks in full sentences about what he wants or why we're doing something. "one car take with me outside." "big bite too hot; blow." "Dudie take my choo choo. **sniff sniff." Dudie is how he says Junie right now and I've never thought anything of it before, but when we were in Topeka this weekend, more than one person sniggered because it sounded like dog doodie. Never heard it that way before. He sings full songs like "I am the church" and "I will sing unto the Lord" (which has big words like victoriously and exalted and he attempts it all) and of course, "the snapping prayer." He can also recite the first four lines of Yankee Doodle all on his own. He can also recite June's bedtime prayer. We only know this because June was being stubborn one night so Ruben just piped in and said it for her. Huh. Guess he's been listening. He loves to read but more than anything he likes to find Goldbug. Uncle Paul bought him the book "Cars, and Trucks, and things that Go" for Christmas and now Ruben can find Goldbug on every single page without even looking at the page. Seriously, it is amazing.






Overall, this kid is a mover and a shaker. Tonight he discovered he could take the big wheel bike to the top of the driveway, pick his feet up, gather speed until he dumps himself out into the street (or when dad catches him before he dumps into the street). He lives for speed. Also, this afternoon he decided he wanted to go visit Charlie, who is a cat who belongs to our next door neighbor. The first time, he took June with him, but later on, I hear June yell from the front door, "Ruben is going to see Charlie." By the time I get outside he has already gone down the sidewalk, up Bob's driveway, and up onto their porch. Thankfully, I trust Bob and Judy tremendously, because I feel like this isn't the last time I will lose Ruben to Charlie.

As Karl and I consider having a baby in the house again, we start to consider what Ruben might be like as a big brother. Ruben loves babies and loves to kiss and hug them. But when the baby is in our own home, I wonder what kind of boundaries Ruben will attempt to cross when it comes to manhandling this poor child. Sorry Fetal Fay, start preparing now for life on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment