Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Where Ruben Is?

I dislike that my kids don't sleep through the night regularly, but I do love the cute things June says when she's pretty much still asleep. June will get out of bed, come out to the landing at the top of the stairs and say something.  I can tell what level of alertness she is by how loud she asks the question. She'll either whisper/whine something like "I wake up. I don't want to go potty" because I always ask her to go potty as soon as she gets up. On the other end of the spectrum is the super happy June who is awake and ready to play.  She says in a piercing voice, "Where Ruben is?" because the first thing she wants to do is act as an alarm clock for her brother.

As a former English major, I've been struggling with the grammatical structure of this sentence. "Where Ruben is?" however, is not as bad as "Where you is?" which I've actually started to correct. Either she can ask the question with the sentence structure out of order or the form of the verb can be incorrect, but my ears cannot tolerate both a sentence structure and verb form error simultaneously. Thank you, Mrs. Schaefer, for making me cringe every time my daughter asks me where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment